top of page

Group

Public·93 members

Sinister Hun Torrent

HEM ARKS OF MR. CO 11 WIN,cn rtir pinancb nr.i'onT.AVIipii this wa3 FoUled, to make il bindin.f nnJ irrevocable till WAi, I lie patliMinsetted inllio third section of the bill Itliuir solemn declaration to llmt client.Tlio miction referred In rends as follows :"dud be il further enacted, Thai until tin'thirtieth day of June, ouo lliotisatd cghihtindrod ai.it fony-lwc, tin- duties imposedby existing laws as niodiliod by this noshall remain and enntinuu lo be collected."Gould your Itmgnogo furnish word3 moreemphatically expressive of a declaration byCongress lliut no clinttgu was to bo madein this branch of yntir avenue system UllJune, 1012? Did you then expect yourPeople to place no" iclianco on what youthus 6oleinly proclaimed as your dotorniinalion? No: vou did not expect the American People to i real you as hollow heartedkna cs atlonuilii'T to impose on their ere-iliiliiv. Tin s-olo oliiccl of nroclaimiii ' tot hem the unalterable character of the lawof lb'33 was to quiet the fearful agitationthat then every where prevailed, and ivestability lo that interest the maniitaciuliii" interest, which w is most to be nflected by vour uo's. What, sir. wc.ru thehappy, i ho glorious i IVlcIs ol thai c m'promise? The day before that law recmved tlio Pre-idonl's approval wag overcastWilli the gathering el. .ml ol civil war, il.epnin.'', Fiuiindiii'', tiiul blackening every h-mrThe "round on which wo sloud seemed toheave and quake with the first throes of nconvulsion, that was to rend in frngmontsthe last Republic i u rarlh; at this fearfulmoment an overruling Providence revealedthe instruments ol its wiil in the person ofone man, whoso virtues would have illustrated the luijjiit ot annals of recordedtime, lie prodnci d this real measure olconcord, and the siioeecdir.g morning dawned upon the American horizon without aspot ; the tun of mat day looUeu uownand beheld us a tranquil and united PeopleArc we prepared now to break the bond?of peace, and renew the war? I have saidyou have the power to do so, but I denyvour riixht. 1 do nrt measure luat rightby the standard of law in a municpacourt. 1 cannot cunctivo any idea morrridiculous or contemptible than thai whichfinds no standard ! moral or political duties'and rialita for a Christian, a private gon-tleinan, or a statesman, except that whichis applicable to a content before a justice'scourt, or a nhi pr'tu.i jury. No, Mr, 1 appeal to a law in the b'uom uf man, priornnd paramount to this. 1 appeal to tinSouth, where I know that law will be obeyed, and wlu.ro I know I do not appeal invain. I invoke its characteristic chivalryI call for that sentiment of manly pridwhich is its offspring. I summon lo myaid thai sensitive honor which leels "a Mainlike a wound," which abhors deception, amshudders at violated ran h. Will that .Southwhich I am sure I have liuiy describedloin in tins otJluus infraction ol its owntreaty, and units in tins miserable war upon the laboring ihuti.-aml.s who have oonfided in its securities a war not waged withopen force and clroiig baud a war nol wa(jed lo avenue in.-uiud lienor, but to recover the dilieronce between tivo and tencents dutv upon a vard of cotton goodsYour approach to tins battle Is not hnuMki)bv the trumpet's voice: no, you aretake the proposed bill, and l'o on a titauradin'' expidilion, by v. ay of reprisal. Vouare to steal into the d.wulltng ol the poor,and boldly captuie a mechanics dinner!Y'ou are to inarch into the collage of thewidow, and fearles-iy conli-cato the breakfact uf a factory girl, for the benefit of theplanting and grain growing Slates of thisuiighiyfltepublic ! Such are the motivesfor thiswar, and such are to be the trophies of its victories. How little do they whohave presented such arguments, as these,in this report, know of the character of thePeople of the South and Went ! They vain,lv imagine that the h:gh. minded sons of theSouth have drunk of the fatal cup of thesorecicss, and, like the companions ofUlysses,'Lost their uptight th ipe,And downward li;ll m o tin- gruvulling swine."Tlio great grain growing Stales of theWest are informed, in (his report, that thoymay reclaim n pari of the tribute which, ilis told them, they have been paying without equivalent, if ihey will agree io lliis bill.Let mo tell tho gun'tleuiaii that tho Westmust first bo satisfied tiny aro free in lionor to obey thu call. The hardy race thathas subdued the forests of the West, andin their green youth have constructed miniumcnls of their enterprise that shall survivo t'no Pvramids, is not likoly, from mero.ly fcordid motives, to join in infliclingreat evil on an v portion of our conunoucountry. The fearless pioneers of theWest, whose cars aro ns familiar with theiliuip crack of the Indian's rille, and hiswdd war whoop at midnight, as nro thoseof your city dandies, with the dulcet notesof the Harp and Piano, they, sir, arc notthe men toad upon sclli.-h calculations andsinister inducements. They hold theirrights by law, and they believe that compuds, oxpiessul or implied, arising fromindividual engagements or public law, areto be kept and defended with their lives, ilneed be, not to bo broken at will, or regarded as llie proper sport of legislative caprice. Mr. Fipoo-kcr, wo have heard much olInto that is new to us, if nol alarming, opthis subject of legislative compact. Fromauthorities of no mean consideration, wohave heard it boldly preached, that thevalidiiy of a compact ntieii'g out of law is anexploded pat minx, Il is represented as urelic of "old times," and wo aro told thatil is inconsistent with tho liberties of thePeople. The liberlioj of iho People! Itwas to establish "tho liberties of the Poo.pie" thai Riibespierro and his infamous asMiciatcs preuched this same doctrine to thedeluded and Irantie populace ol Franco.Li tho American Government now to ndoplthis creed of political Inith ? (low long isil Eir.ce wu were about to wage war withFrance, for refusing to fulfil a treaty which,in the language of our Constitution, wasnothing mora than Wie supreme law n'lhulland" For this wo woro ready to launchour thunders upon 'ho seas, ami arm ourwhole population for tho contest on tholand. Wu required Iho proud monarch ofthe most warlike mil ion of modern timeslo humble himself befora tho oflended majesty of "public law." It is for a supposedviolation of "public law" that your armiesI hno been alternately hunting n'tor, andflying before, the fiercu Occola, for a whole' year',' through the lagoons mid hammocksI or Florida, it is noi io on supposed mmP. .i,l,.. thus ne.thnr. call bo broui'lit to disregard like obligations, whether contracted.byoxpross or implied compact, with ita owncitizens.1 hone, fir, I shall bo pardoned lor dwelling, it nny be, somewhat too long uponthis topic. I must now call tho attentionof tho House lor a few moments to what 1deem a singular phenomenon in our history, ns set loith in the report on your inuie.Il is said dial the planting and grain growing Suites) have, since 1 7U0, paid to themanufacturers of thi. country abnit threehundred and fifty millions of dollars, Mrwhich thev have received no equivalent.Sir, if thin bo true, i.inco tlio Israeliteswere required by the Egyptian tyrant, tomakn bucks without htraw, there is noparr.lkd to such monstrous oppression.I have already staled that I will not pretend to quote the precise language of thereport. I nut sure it is slated mat, minuson imported articles to tho amount of sixHundred and eighty two millions ot uouars,b-i.-id. s thirty million.) for its collection,l.ovo been paid since the year 1709. It isa'so staled in tho report, lhat mure thanone hnlCnl thh uirirrcxnlc had been leviedon protected articles, t he wnolu pcope oliho report labors lo prove mat tins uuiy onprotected nrticks is a grievom and oppres.mvu lax on consumption, lor which noequivalent is received in return. Lounccted wilh those po-ilions, the au'.hur of thereport endeavors to show lhat the plantingami irraiu crowing porlions oi the Unionwere, and are, the consumers, and the fewNorthern manufacturing Slates the prnducm of the protected articles; that tiie foriner are tho payers, and the latter the reenvors of the dutiis; which dulies arerepresented as a mere bounty lo the laborof the North, for which the Sootli andWest never have breti, and, in I he natureo ilni'ir, never can bi, iciinburscd. Sir,I shall not no.v trouble the House, orfriend-, who put forward Ibis fjet as a tntfhproved by figures and tabular statementwilh anv at L'UPieut opposed lo it, but 1must be allowed to advert to it as a Vtern man with feelings of prido. At thoami? tini", 1 loii-t, in common v. ill) otherslabor under miiiio doubts of the fjet aeserted, arming out of the kuo'.' n history olthe list twenty or thirty years.II Iho West and Southwest have paidtheir due proportion of this unjust and unremunerated tax of three hundred and fiftymillions within the last iorty years, whileat the same time, they have, aa the worldknows, conquered the savages who possessed Iho whole Western and Southwesternterritory, cleared iho thick forests whichovershadowed it j in short, if thai portionof the Untied Slates ha--, in less than halfa century, as all admit, readied a point olimpioveuient in wealth and arts which othor tunes and People required ages toachieve, then, I say, I may with pride andconfidence clnlletigo I he whole world within the period of authentic hlnorv, to p irallul tl.o sv .nJurr.ll Pcui.lu oliiuli 1 II II vc mohonor, in part, to represent.JjiU, Mr. Speaker, sober reality and stubborn facts compel me lo repress ihts cxul-tiil tun ni nor Inneied snnerinnl y m.i.llcompels me lo doubt who' her truth placein so far above common mortality as lliisrerun t hii done. Fuels, known facts. thoseunaecommoiiaiiiig uiiol;?, io.ii roio so manybeautiful inventions of lerlile and ingenousminds, aro constantly thrusting themselvesbefore, and in lliG way ol, the figured andnhiloiopliv of the geiTllem.ui who has labored in Ibis report to push by tlieui, middrive over iliem, to reach his lavorito conelusions. Vou will ob-orve, Mr. Speakerthat wo aril told ol the "treasuries otheIt:. ii t Kim! ol tho uuiicu ft'atos, iii'owhich i Ins enormous tribute of three bundred and fifty millions has been poured.In the same connexion you fieri r of the"nnncelv establishments" that have beenI'n'pd un and Mi.-laiued by it. Tho "prncethe Northernrea'ed up anlv oMabHslnneiits" aro inmannl'acluring Stales. The princes,"whom the tribute is paid are the Peoplethis happy, favored region. Where, sir,aro tlio poor oppressed tributaries;, according lo this report? Why, sir, in lhatsinking, ruined, wasted wilderness, theWest 1 !The author of this report, under the influenco of a loo fervid imagination, hasspumed tlio shackles, and broken throughthe eiiibarra.-isineiUs arising from facts connected with the scheme of Ins theory. lierepresents iho Northern manufacturingSlates as another imperial Rome, seatedon herseen lulls, rioting in tho luxuriesot the despoih d and impoverished South,her trea-unes nursling witli the enormouswraith poured into them from ihu ravagedand desolated provinces ol tlio West.Manufacturing is pictured as the wand olMidas, turning everything il touches intogold, while it would seem tint growinggram, and plaining cotton, brought onlyluxation witlioui equivalent, poverty andtinreqii ted toil. Sir, if all this were true,what would follow? The Poopiu uf thiscountry, however they may bo excelled byother natiuiis in tlio walks of letters anilthe polite tins, are known to bo bhrowodand well-'uilorinod touching their own pc.cuniary iniurcsis. Such a Poopiu wouldbu fouiid rushing into the uiaiiiifucl urmg(list nets, to reap harvests of wenhh, andits way thro1 llicico of tlio Northern lakes, Iand bursting over tho mountains- Ull theroads and rivers are literally choked wilhIts masses. Whore aro ihu.su colonists going? To tho west, lo raise1 grain and botaxed! To the Smlhwest, lo grow' cotton,and become poor ! Such is Iho reasoningof the report. Now, I beg to km.vwhether it is nol taxing our good naturequite to far to ask us to believe, and actupon, ingenious theories, and long columnsof figures, standing, ns ihey d ), opposud tofacts, admitted, known, anil understood bvevery man in this Union over twenty onevoarsofage. To coiou lo llio conclusional which Iho report, has arrived, we are n.nnired to adm'H lhat iniiiH blind to anilcareless of Ins own personal advantage.Nay, more, the uu'hors ot thu report roquire yon to deny to our American race thecommon instinct of all annual creation.The philosophy of this report leachus thaiman shuns ease, and ddstr-'s loll; mat nhates ple.i-mro, and loves piin : that ho oichews wealth, and courts piverty. thai heHies trom power, and socks subjection.Ml Hits tumble of contradictions wu aro re.quired to admit us sell evident iruilis, sunply to explain existing lacU in a way tinto contradict lliis erudite trciliso on tradeand finance.Relbro I take leave of the su'ijuct, I wishto notices a few other dihiculties which oppose the consideration of this I). II at thistunc, uno which spring troio a soii'cu Uiaiwill nol be dt-regarded by the nnjortty olthis IIou-c. It will bo f-oen thai llie billproposes a reduction of our incoin- withintho next eighteen months, of s-'ven millionsA very considerable poniou of l Ins reduction falls on the receipts ol tho present year.I lie quest mil 1 ask here is this; Can theI'reasnry bear t nis curtailment of its resources now : l'o answer this, I appeal to anauthority which for these last two yearsIns never been (mentioned or doubled uythe gentleman who present this bill to llieHouse. I allude to ihu annual report oltho Secretary of the Treasury, made un theGth of December last.The reciipls into iho Treasury, from a.lsources, (luring K!37, are p.stun.ited al l,000,000 dollars-. I quote llie very languageof the report. Genilem in will find I nmright, by rolerrence to Document lNo. - ottins session page After enumerating thovarious sources, (such as cisterns, publicland, iSic ) from which this amount is tierivul, the Secretary proceeds lo computeho amount of expenditures for loo presentyear. I slull give his own language, Iromthe same document, pane 5:I'liu L'xpciiilitiiiT-i fur all ahicds. oidiiiury andcxtiaiiiilin.o v, in 1S37, iiinludin ' lliu cumins-ill ofonly frl, 000,000 fur tisu.it bxcl-sjcs hi nppiopi in-Hun-'',lipjuml die e.Miiu.oe.-;, ,ih- cniiipiileil nl(Od.bJl, piovnled llie uiicxpnncle.l iippiopii.illnnil die end uf this and tlx; next c.ir miuin aboutequal.Here gentlemen will see that, instead oireducing lite revenue duwii lo the wants olthe Government, our income, from all sources, in l,'t37, falls short of our i:xpMidit tirosas estimated, nearly S 5,000,000. It theSecretary is right, (and will the geu'lemenof the nnjority ho so h dd m to say he iJwioog.-j iiic. ii. uir.ri uliouUI lie lo increase the taxes, to raise tile revenue up ..the actual wants of the Government. Andsir. if il were not for the five millions,which aro k'-ot io reserve for vi r inrdion rvdero.)tids on the 'I'reasnry by llie Deposilebill of hist year, according to the calculations ol Mr Woodbury, we shou'd be compelled now to increase the duties onforeign mercliaudinu dining tho presentyear, or borrow money lo meet the demandson the Treasury. Let us t-uo what theSecretary further says on page o of thesiine report. I again quote his own words."From these calculations it will bo seenlhat, if the outstanding appropriations unexpended at ihu close of U!37 be as lirgeas nl the close of I U3G , and the other expemlitiires should agree with Iho itbove cs-iiunles, they would exceed the ooinputt drevenue accruing from all sources nearly(j,J,000,000. or tuifiicienl to absorb morethan half of that part of the pre-uiit. surpluswhich is nol to bo deposited with the several Slates. Hut if these outstanding appropriations at llie close of 1 1137 Should bemuch loss than those in I liJO, as is prob.able; or, should the accruing receipts bemuch larger than the estimates, a call willbecome in ci'.-.-ary for a portion of the surplus deposited with iho Slates, though nwill not piobably become necessary, exceptin ono of ihoio events."lo the extract I have read, llie Secretaryha.) quite distinctly told us thai the probability is, we shall not only absorb all tho auuruing revenue, and the five millions notdeposited wilh the Stales, by the expenditures of 1UJ7. bill thai the Slates will h.called on to repay a portion of the moneyih-po-iied with them, lo meet the wants ofthe Government during Ihu present youHow, sir. does the policy of reducing therevenue, as proposed in this bill, agree wi lltins .state of things? Pass the bill, sir, andin eighteen mouths, it h said, you will savin Iho pockets of !h" People seven millionwhich would otherwise bo drawn from momby the laws now in force.' A id, in thesouio time, if you p ace any confidence inthe Secretary ol the Treasury, you will be.compelled to lake from the Peiplo of thoStales (who arc lo have Iho use of the money deposited with them) ait eqi.il amount,I if not more. What, a miserable piec ofbungling jugglery would this he! Vousimply lake seven millions out uf one pockel of the People and pul il iiilu tho other,and gravely toll thorn you have saved to'.onsidorcd II conclusivo cvidonco of oJacnlial Ivulgarity ; It was proof wilh Ilium that a manhad not soon " good society," if

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...
Group Page: Groups_SingleGroup
bottom of page